Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Stones we both love (The Random Tales Series)



June 20, 2004

“Amma, I really don’t want these diamond earrings. I don’t fancy it. It is very expensive. It will eat into all your savings.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Oh, yes, of course!!!!!!”

“Rajathi, it is in our tradition to give the girl diamond earrings, this design especially. And I know you love diamonds. So don’t worry, Konday.”

“Hmmmmmm. Let’s not discuss tradition. You know how I feel about it. Anyways. I love this diamond ring from Anna. I will adore it all my life.”

“Yes. He is happy to buy you that.”

“That’s a lot of financial pressure on him too.”

“Hmmm. He will earn back. You don’t worry.”

“Hmmmm. Not fair. Amma, I don’t like this idea of marriage expenses.”

“You can’t change tradition. Don’t argue with me. We have to do all that is to be done.”

“Hmmmmm”

10 YEARS LATER

“Amma, guess what?”

“WHAT??????”

“Oh ho, Amma. You are so boring. Guess na”

“I have no idea. Tell me, what is it?”

“I am buying a diamond pendant, same design as the earrings. Like yours. Yiipppppeeeeee.”

“Ada! Very good. I am so happy. When? From GRT only right? Don’t buy from anywhere else.”

“Yes yes.”

“I knew you love diamonds. What all drama and dialogues 2 months before your marriage!!! I knew you will buy more.”

“Ha ha ha! Just like you. I am so excited, Amma.”

“Konday, you could have taken mine. You really want to spend?”

“Amma, I am giving away some of the gold and buying this diamond, just like how you bought yours. Also, yours are for Manni, we have already agreed on that. I love the red stones necklace set that you are giving me, I really love it.”

“Ohh!!! Why? Why are you doing like that? Don’t sell gold, it is expensive if you want to buy again.”

“I don’t use those gold chains Amma. You know I don’t like wearing those ear rings and necklaces.”

“Hmmm. Why don’t you give away those rings then?!?!?!?”

“Grrrrrr. Never. I love finger rings. Each of them. None will leave.”

“Ha ha ha. I know.”

“Podi Ammave! Don’t tease me. I will meet you this weekend with the pendant.”

“I will wait.”

“Okay. You sound little dull. Do you want to share something?”

“Sunday vaa. Nerula pesalam.”

“Hmmm. Sure it can wait?”

“Yes, Rajathi. It can.”


Translation Notes

Rajathi – Princess (context, it is a pet name)
Ada – Exclamatory remark, surprised
Konday – Child (context, a very affectionate way of saying @baby’”
Sunday vaa, nerulu pesalam – Come on Sunday, we will discuss in person

No comments: