Sunday, August 5, 2018

First to Last – a journey of 20 years (The Random Tales Series)




1998

“Amma, I like this green. But not this material, itchy Amma. Blouse is very simple.”

“Priya! It is your first blouse, its more for fitting. I don’t have too many cotton sarees. Also, this is with chumki and all, good for your age.”

“Amma, this doesn’t look as good on me as it does on you.”

“Who says so????”

“Mirror on the wall.”

“Uff. Go to your room and ask that dressing table mirror. It has been in love with you since your std. 5. It will pamper you.”

“Amma, it is transparent. I don’t like transparent.”

“You don’t behave your age, konday. It is not looking vulgar, if that’s what you are worrying about.”

“Hmmmm…..”

“What do you want NOW? Change to your night dress, go.”

“I know what to do. I haven’t worn my bangles yet, that is why I am feeling incomplete. Aaaahhhh yes, I need them, now. See you in 2 minutes.”

“Wait, listen. Do you have enough bangles or you can wear my gold bangles.”

“Nah. MY glass bangles. I have enough green to lend to the world.”

“Lend? Give them away, Rajathi. They are so old fashioned. You wear 1 dozen in each hand.”

“Never ever. Don’t dare give away even one of these to anyone. I know you gave some red ones to Pusham Akka’s sister that day. Don’t think I don’t know. I keep a check on my things, esp bangles. You don’t touch them, please.”

“Come here and talk. I can’t hear you.”

“LIAR LIAR, You heard it. WAIT. 2 MINUTES DI AMMAVE.”

1 MONTH LATER

“Nice photo Rajathi.”

“Hmmm. I am not as slim as my classmates. Broad shoulders. Broad hips. No fat for now, thankfully.”

“See your smile, Rajathi. Not many have that smile too. All my problems evaporate in your smile.”

“Hmmmm. Here take, more smiles. Some more. Little more.”

“Enough enough.”

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2017 October

“I am not sure Konday, if I have the energy.”

“Hmmmmm.”

“Hmmmmm.”

“But you want to?”

“Hmmmmm.”

“Hmmm yes or Hmmm no?”

“YES.”

“Can you say a yes without tears?”

“Podi.”

“That yellow pink saree na Amma, is very light. I checked it this morning, trial you know.”

“Yes, nice color.”

“You just have to stand for 90 seconds Amma. I promise I will drape it super quick.”

“Hmmmm. Okay.”
.
.
.
“Thank you very much, Rajathi. I am wearing a saree after many months.”

“You look so good, and say that without tears, please. As always, you look pretty. You look like my elder sister and not my mother.”

“Hmmmm. People always say that, isn’t it?”

“Hmmmm. Yes.”

“Hurt you ever?”

“Yes and no. I love the idea that you look young. No complaints.”

“But the comparison?”

“Amma, each her life. Each her battles. Each her reasons. There cannot be a comparison. You don't have to under dress for me. I don't have to look like you. I look like me.”

“People still have made strong remarks. Family members too.”

“No one matters to me, Amma. You know me. Lotus … thottum thodamal, pattum padamal.”

“I too don’t matter?”

“You are the only Matter Amma. Rest everything is Maya.”

“I love talking to you, my Amma. Come more often.”

“I will Amma, as often as I can. Ready? Your friends will be here, anytime.”

“Yes.”

“Let me hold your hand and walk you.”

“Yes.”

“Soft hands di Ammave. I love you.”

“I love you, too. Oh sorry, I too love you.”

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. My Slow Coach student.”

April 2018

“Like last time, on me, totally. Just stand. Super quick. I promise.”

“Okay. Fast ok? I am tired.”
.
.
.
.
“That was fast, Konday, thank you. You have smart techniques with tough sarees too.”

“Learnt it from you. May be, for this day. The little joy that I can give you.”

“Thank you. A no tears thank you.”

“A kiss on the forehead for the most beautiful woman in saree in this world. You look lovely in this Kerala saree.”

“Podi.”

“Hmmmm”

“Oh okay sorry. I should accept a compliment with grace. Okay. Thank you Rajathi.”

“Ha ha ha. You are a lot of drama di Ammave. Come and sit in the deewan in hall?”

“Yes.”

“And I walk you.”

“Yes.”

From 1998 when SHE draped ME in my first saree; TO; 2018 when I draped HER in her last saree. 

J



No comments: