Sunday, August 19, 2018

My wedding day, her dreams (The Random Tales Series)






May 2004

“Impossible. I am not going to wear any of this.”

“A bride has to wear all this.”

“Amma!”

“Priya!”

“You know what, I know how you switch between Rajathi and Konday and Priya. You use my name, and I know you are being rude. Huh!!!”

“So???????”

“Sheri. Fine. You win.”

“Good. So select. Quickly.”

“None of these.”

“What?”

“Too big and heavy.”

“They will hold your hair in place.”

“Ah! That again. I don’t like to plait my hair so tight, Amma. Gives me a headache.”

“We are not discussing this again. You agreed last week, Priya.”

“You are winning every argument, Amma, just by calling me Priya. Unfair play, Indira.”

“Konday, just listen to me on these things. I know what is best.”

“Hmmmmmm. Yes, I am sure you do. Fine. But let’s look at simpler ones Amma.”
.
.
.

“This is okay. I will manage this. We can book it. Done.”

“Not grand enough.”

“Very grand. More than enough. Amma, please.”

“Hmmmm. Okay, now the jewellery. White stones?”

“What? Artificial jewellery????? Why? You never told me this at home. You are embarrassing us at the store!!!”

“Needed Konday. Kazhutthu naranju irrukum appodan.” (Your neck will look filled with jewellery only then)

“But we have all that gold chains. And diamond in my ears and finger.”

“Podi. Those are not enough for your broad shoulders!!”

“What I have is enough, Amma. I wear only that. Let’s book this headset thing and leave. Its hot.”

“We can’t come again to book the jewellery. Let’s finish it now.”

“Amma. I am sure I don’t want any of this artificial jewellery. I am very proud of what I have.”

“Sabhai ku poradu.” (Not enough for the society.)

“We go home and talk. Come Amma, let’s drink a juice and leave.”
.
.
.
“Huh! Feels better to argue under a fan.”

“Hmmmmm. Wrong Priya. We should have booked that white stone set. It will look very good in photos. I have seen many albums recently. Everyone hires. Nothing wrong.”

“Nothing is wrong about it, Amma. I understand. But I don’t want to fake the jewellery.”

“Hmmmmm.”

“I wear only what is mine. And whatever I am wearing is mine.”

“You will not wear mine too, then? Add it on na, please?”

“No. You will wear yours. I will wear mine. You too need to look like the bride’s mother.”

“But that will not look enough.”

“So what is your problem? That I don’t have enough gold or that it is not enough for the stage on Aug 20 morning?”

“I am happy with what we are giving you. I am not sure if it’s enough to look a bride. And the stage thing too.”

“Hmmmm.”

“They will all cluster on to one spot in the neck and look very less.”

“Okay. Got it. I will work this out, I have a plan. We will do a demo next weekend. If you are still not convinced, I will go and order. The bangles will be the highlight, Anyways. Wait and watch!”

“Okay. Let’s see.”

Aug 20, 2004, 6.00 AM

“Happy????”

“Yes.”

“Looks like enough?”

“Nothing is enough for me when its about you. But yes, good enough.”

“Good. You look lovely in this madisar. Mmmuuaaahhhhh. Photo with bride?”

“Yes.”

“Can you smile without tears?”

“I am not strong like you.”

“Yes, I stole all the strength from you, and left you with nothing. Ha ha ha.”

“Podi”

“By the way, does everyone know that you have as many new sarees for my marriage, as the bride? That everytime I changed to a new saree, you too did????”

"No. Not many. Now don't be going around saying that to everyone. You were the one who insisted that I relive my marriage in your wedding."

"Ha ha ha. Yes yes. Just asking. Smile di Ammave.”

“Okay di Amma.”


(This picture does not flaunt the jewellery, as much as she would have liked it to, but the pic is about the smile. Sans tears.)



No comments: