Sunday, August 19, 2018

(Lip)Stick to your promise, Amma (The Random Tales Series)



“You had promised, Amma. Today is Aug 19, 2004, 6.00 pm. You have to.”

“You really want me to?”

“Swami kannu kutthum. Enakku ennu?!?!”

“Priya! Don’t mock. Please promise me you will not make sarcastic comments like these in your new life.”

“Let’s get this right. There is nothing like new life and all that, ok? Let’s not give it so much hype na, please?”

“Okay, fine. But promise?”

“I will do my best. I promise.”

“And don’t be this loud.”

“WHY?”

“SEE!!!!”

“See yourself! Huh. I will try Amma. But I can’t pretend.”

“Diplomatic is an option.”

“Yes. I skipped the option. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.”

“Not funny.”

“Sheri sheri. I will do my best not to be sarcastic about religion, God, and not be too loud with my thoughts. Now your promise keep-up time. Its my marriage reception evening, Amma. You had promised lip stick. Ha ha ha. I cant wait.”

“Okay. I will wear this meroon shade lipstick. Just for you. Very light, okay.”
.
.
“Looks like pink. 2 more strokes. Please, Amma. Don’t fuss.”

“Now?”

“Hmmmmm. Nice. Matches with your toe nail polish color.”

“That is also a first time, just for you. And last time.”

“Thank you, Amma. I promise I will not marry again. You will not have to do it again.”

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha”

“Thank you very much!!!!!”

“Ah! Sarcasm! Ha ha ha.”

“Get ready fast.”

“I would have preferred to dress up by myself. I don’t like others touching me and putting a saree on me.”

“We have paid her already. Don’t fuss. Get ready fast.”

“Grrrrr.”

“I am going out to greet people. Be on time, bride.”

“Of course, bride mother. Remember not to strain too much. Sit whenever you can. My one eye will be on you, full time.”

“Don’t worry Rajathi. I will be fine. You enjoy your reception. Its going to be a big crowd. Keep your evergreen smile on. I will be fine.”

“Hmmmmm. Sure. My one eye is following you.”

“And …… You looked nice in your nischadartham saree. Thank you for agreeing to buy that saree and wearing it so gracefully. I know you don’t like that bright combination with those big checks design.”

“Hmmmm. Yes, Amma. I think that color is too bright for me. I don’t feel good in it. But your face was brighter than the saree when you saw me in it. Damn worth it.”

“Thank you very much. I love you in it. You looked like a bride, for one occasion.”

“He he he. Thanks. I will wear it often for you.”

“Okay. On time, okay.”

“Thank you for wearing that lip stick, Amma. I love you.”

“I know!”

No comments: