Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Money Matters (The Random Tales Series)



August 17th, 2004

“Promise me, you will ask for anything you want even if I am married.”

“Okay, pakkalam.”

“Amma, I am your mother, you cannot give such rude answers to me. Promise?”

“Sheri. Promise.”

“And anytime I give you anything, you will gracefully accept it from me?”

“Rajathi, we don’t really do such things, but let’s see.”

“Amma, I promise I will always be earning money. I know I am not very qualified and not on a job right now, but I know I will make it big one day. Not very big, but you will have reasons to be proud of me.”

“Hmmmmm. I wasn’t happy you left your job in hand.”

“Hmmmm. I know. But I feel I need to give my 100% to this new life, Amma. Worklife balance feels tough. Also, I am 
not enjoying an accountant job, I am sorry if that hurts you. I know you adore your father, but I don’t think I enjoy it.”

“Hmmmm. What do you want to do?”

“I want to meet new people every day. I want my days to be filled with surprise. I want a good reason to dress up every day. I want a role where I directly impact the success of the company.”

“Hmmmmmmm.”

“I want to sell.”

“What????? Like Eureka Forbes? Oh God, yen ponnukku nalla budhi kudungu!”

“You are over reacting.”

“Sanitary napkins, Priya? Is that the job you will do? You are just a B.Com holder, who will give you a fancy sales job? You will get to sell only this. Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.”

“I actually have no idea Amma. I don’t know. I just know that I will do well. I just need little time.”

“How much time do you need, Priya?”

“I don’t know.”

“Hmmmmmm. I am worried.”

“Don’t be, Amma. I promise I will never be dependent on anyone for my parlor, to say the least.”

“Rajathi, I know you very well. I know that you don’t have fancy for anything too great in life. You are not very ambitious. You want a simple life. Marriage, kids, family. I am hoping there is a job somewhere in all this.”

“Wait and watch, Amma.”

“Okay sleep. In 3 days, you will be married.”

“Hmmmmmm”

“Are you happy, Konday?”

“Hmmmmmm”

“Why do I feel you are worried?”

“Because you overthink, Amma!!”

“And you act well.”

“You over react, too!!!!”

“You had promised to tell me why you cried on that day, before you get married.”

“After I get married, I’d said. Don’t try Amma.”

“Hmmmm. Good night, konday.”

“Good night, Amma.”




Translation Notes
Rajathi – Princess (context, it is a pet name)
Pakallam – We’ll see
Konday – Child (context, a very affectionate way of saying @baby’”
Oh God, yen ponnukku nalla budhi kudungu – Oh God, bless my daughter with some sense.

No comments: