Saturday, August 18, 2018

Old is Gold, Golder when its HERS (The Random Tales Series)



“Amma, don’t get tensed. Sit. Relax.”

“Podi Konday. We have just 5 minutes to leave. I am so sorry I did this to you.”

“Amma! Nothing is wrong. The saree is stiff, that’s all. It is being fussy. She thinks she is the bride. I will put her in her place, give me 2 minutes.”

“You should have agreed to my idea and worn this meroon. It would have been easier. We can exchange right away.”

“This is a beautiful saree. The green and turquoise-ish blue are used so well. Not much jarigai too.”

“I don’t know too many brides who want to wear a 25 years old saree for her entry to the wedding hall. What if it tears?”

“Now you know.”

“All girls demand a new saree for every occasion. And look at you.”

“Ha ha ha. Not comparable. They don’t have you as their mother who has such a beautiful collection of sarees.”

“Podi. I want to cry. This is my marriage engagement saree. May 12, 1977. We are on Aug 19, 2004. Look at yourself.”

“Okay. Go to that room, cry and come back. By then I will be ready.”

“Priya! What are you doing? Wait. Don’t crush the saree like that. Swamiye!”

“Now it will obey me. It just has too much starch for a silk.”

“I had told him not to starch it. I promise, I did, Konday.”

“Amma, it is okay. Don’t worry. I am not at all worried that it is stiff.”

“If it doesn’t sit well, it could make you look fat. Also, you are not getting a make-up done. Just compact, eye liner and lip stick. I don’t understand.”

“Who cares Amma. People will anyways judge.”

“I want you to be the most beautiful bride.”

“I am not sure. I will be the boldest, though.”
.
.
.
“Okay, Amma?”

“Goodness, yes. Oh yes, it sits well. Oh good actually. You have done well. God is with us.”

“Ha ha ha. Of course. Just 5 minutes late.”

“Priya! Promise me you will not make such remarks in your new home.”

“Fake promise.”

“Kadavule, indu kozhanday-u rakshichiko.”

“People are waiting for us. Let’s go. The bride is ready.”

“The simplest, non-fussy, non-demanding bride I have seen so far.”

“A bride anyways. My Amma’s bride.”

“God bless you.”

“Stay calm through the 2 days Amma. Remember your promises to me.”

“OK OK. I will.”

No comments: