Thursday, August 13, 2009

The long-road to office!

Anybody who has spoken to me for more than 60–61 minutes will already be aware that I need to travel an hour to reach my workplace and I ride my 3-year old Activa. I would have also told you the various problems I face, not missing the backache and my no-time–for-exercise schedule.

Now, anybody who knows so much about the most important journey of my everyday life deserves to know what happened today!

Experiments do not work with me. I prefer pre-set paths.

Assumptions do not work with me. Assurance does.

Hints do not guide me. This-way and that-way will take you there...this works perfect.

Today’s Tale

A normal day … okay I will be honest …. Not a very normal day …. The morning tuition kids came late and I was irritated … they don’t concentrate on what is being taught and I need to be patient and explain the importance of this chapter in the epic and in history too … cooking, packing for work, preparing breakfast, getting ready for work … wondering if I can leave early in the evening for KrishnaJayanthi … Husband suggesting that I take the day off! I saying nope, not today! Saying “No” puts the most stress on me!

I start off for work on time … Husband-I part ways after our 2-kms together-ride and then I start my long-journey to work. All was well … my brake was working fine … I had full control over the bike … I was concentrating on the road … I took all the right-left as all days … I stood at all signals … and then …

..and then … the 5th signal of my route showed 150 seconds waiting and I was almost in the 15th row of vehicles! I noticed the free-left that takes you to the perpendicular road without having to wait at a signal … it would be a curving road, I knew. I just had to take the correct left, the correct right and the correct left!

I should have taken the warning there .. CORRECT is such a big word! ….

I swayed my Activa into the free-left … All was well … then I don’t remember what happened … I took the next right and the next left … I knew it was the way .. but now I know I didn’t take the Correct Right-left … To my horror .. I got lost! Gosh!

I didn’t know where I was going … concerned that I was on the wrong road … I did what I dreaded most … my husband will be terribly ashamed of me … I am lost!
I smiled, I could sense that I was slightly hysteric … then I smiled again and I produced it better and then I smiled once again … and I was my normal self. A smile helps, proved again. All this while, I was still fast on the accelerator.

Then I turned to look around as I rode to see that the places around me were actually nice … the road was a residential street with trees all around and a kid-school too on the right … the road offered a right and left … I peeped and found the right more interesting … bigger road with medians and less traffic .. I decided to go that way .. I am anyway lost, how does it matter where I get lost .. let me as well enjoy this …

Then there were many decisions to take .. this way that way … at a signal I decided to take the free-left but by the time I reached the signal, it was green and I decided to as well go straight … how did it matter anyway!

After about 30 minutes, I really got tired. I mean, how longer could I be in the “lost-state”. I finally pulled my brakes and stopped, to find no-one around. No one ask-able, to be specific.
There was this young lady on the road, walking with an umbrella .. must be terribly complexion conscious, again not my type. But how did her cosmetic-interest matter to me while all I want to know is “Where am I?”

I excused myself with her and asked various questions, the answers of which I thought would help me! She understood that I was lost, but wondered why I was full of smiles! She said “there is a shorter route with various turns to reach your destination, but if you are here already, I am sure you will never make it there on the turning-route. Please travel on the main road and take the signals straight till you reach the Arch! Turn left”
I interrupted, “the Anna nagar Arch?”
“No” came the sharp reply “Ayanavaram Arch”
“There is an arch here too? Amazing. Do you live here? I live in Anna nagar”
“Nope, I am here to meet my friend .. I bunked work today”
“Wow! Lovely. Where do you work?”
“ICICI bank – Sales Manager”
“Oh poor you!. Meeting your bf today? You can tell me .. anyway you don’t know me and so you need not worry if I would tell anyone! Isn’t it?”
“That’s right. Yes. We want to have a day out, just us.”
“Awesome, wish you a nice day J Freak-out! Your name?”
“Divya. Yours?”
“Priya. Thanks Divya … I go straight and straight and left at the Arch!”
“Right. Office?”
“Yes. Late. Bye!”

Ayanavaram has an Arch too?? But then I have no right to question her words, I don’t even know which direction is Ayanavaram from Anna nagar!!
I went on as she suggested and to the left I started seeing places that I have seen before … not very familiar, but I knew I had seen them before .. may be yesterday evening? … I then decided to take the route that I thought right! It’s anyway a day of adventures; why not as well try this?

Aha! I reached K4 and from there I took the left and right and then …

and then… the 5th signal of my route showed 150 seconds waiting and I was almost in the 15th row of vehicles! I noticed the free-left … that takes you to the perpendicular road without having to wait at a signal … it would be a curving road, I knew. I just had to take the correct left, the correct right and the correct left!

I patiently waited for 151 seconds and rode off straight!

22 comments:

Tim Bombadol said...

Brilliant! You make simple things sound so very interesting. I wish some of that talent had gotten into me as well, during our 27 years of brother-sister-ness. :-)

Priya said...

Thank you so much, dear Anna!
I am so glad you liked it :)
Your words above ... I will love to show-off to all my friends!

Neha said...

Haha! I had a very good tea break right now, reading your interesting blog. Nice! :-)

Priya said...

Hehe .... Thanks Manni :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Priya, It was an interestng read although a very common happening in most of our lives.

I have just one question - Do you really and always remember all the expressions about yourself, when something is going wrong and can recollect all of them back when you want to pen it all? I am really very curious :)

However, you would make a more popular author than a CRM . You got the talent. Simple things made exquisite. I love the way you entertain yourself despite the difficulties you are in. I cant imagine, you managed to get the details of that lady. On second thoughts, CRM works well too :)

Unknown said...

Hey putar…..

I am dumb struck at your many talents…

You write amazingly well…I guess I keep telling you that every time….but that’s the fact…..you had me reading the blog repeatedly twice (which is not so common with me)…..and I was so impressed with your style of writing, which always keep me glued to your writing without having to rush to the end of the page to see how many more pages I have to read….

So happy and proud of u putar…..always…:)

However,
Getting lost from time-to time……huh……what to say…..you are a genius…..only 2 weeks have passed since I told everyone at home about your growing expertise with roads…you having shown me a new route to T Nagar (now I know where it hailed from), and now back to the same road….you are a self proclaimed Roadlust (don’t ask me what it means….I am trying new words with English…)…

Nevertheless, cheers and a hug to you…..for a sooper doper reading material and on your new title….

Priya said...

Dear Poornima (anonymous),
Thank you for dropping your comment! I am sorry the system didnt accept your entry with your name!

Expressions - yes, mostly I remember. Otherwise, I cook. I admit, I am better at cooking!

haha .. the lady was cute and her umbrella attracted me ... I have never carried an umbrella to cover from the Sun!! haha

CRM, author - I am pampered by your words. Thank you!

Priya said...

Hey Sowmi!

Thanks! A lot!
Roadlust - like Wordsworth was named Wanderlust???
hahahaha I am terribly pampered now!

Thanks ... this is your first comment on my blog ... it will be ever treasured :)

on the topography - Mujhe Maaf Karo ... I cant make it to the closest medicals without directions + assurance that it is right there! Nothing that you dont know!

Jyotsna said...

Hi PV,

Today is 13th of the month. My suggestion is that you dont try any adventure on this unlucky day..last of all be a path finder(pun intended)

Per the writing, I love the humor and the enjoyed the fact that after all the adventure you were on the same road...

Be conventional, atleast as far as roads are concerned.. There are other areas where you can be adventurous and still get away with mistakes..Hope you got my message... lol

Keep writing...I love reading it...

Priya said...

Hey Jyotsna,

Hadnt thought about the 13-thing!
But know what, worse things have happened with me on 12th and 14th of other months! So 13th is still better! :D


I am glad you enjoyed reading!

Other areas .. mistakes .. get away ... huh! I just dont understand :( :) ;) Elucidate please! Actually no, forget it :) hahaha

Prema said...

Priya Priya Priya...wot can i say! i just read this column of urs and the comments which came through from your friends... Probably if its me! wotever i read now i would have described in the most sloppy fashion or explained in the most depressing way...
But i guess the gal in the umberella added some masala to the story..and u still have the ability to impress strangers...see u got-to-know her name...hehehee...u are amazing babe!

Keeping posting...its nice to exchange pleasantries like this...
My hi to soumeya!

Moushumi said...

It seems I am the last one to comment! But certainly not one of the last ones to read this post! :)
Your simple style makes everything seem so interesting! I would take that conversation and place it in a short story or novel! :D

Priya said...

Hey Prema,

hahahaha! Thanks lady!
I am glad you liked it ... I still remember the hug that you gave me when BCom bagged the first prize for "creative writing". [And you told me, this is a good hit on the face for LIT-studs :)]
I feel the same warmth in your tone for me even today ... after almost 9 years now! haha ...i'm lovin' it!

Thanks Prema .. I will keep you posted with my posts :)

Priya said...

Dear Mou,

hahaha you are right, you were the first to read it!

You made my day! I will be keen to know how you would use this conversation.

divya said...

Well pv... iam glad u r back to ur blogs... Just luv reading them.. and i think this is the most creative one.... getting lost and making it an event to enjoy. I think only pv can do it :) Keep up the great work dear...

Priya said...

hahahaha
Thanks Shakthi (Divya)
Humor is the best way to feel better! Isn't it?
I was feeling little miserable yesterday, but everything improved once I remembered to smile, and the rest just flowed in!

Thanks for your nice words Shakthi, they have a motivating effect on me :)

Radhika Narayan said...

Nice blog..btw the Ayanavaram doesnt have an arch...Only Arumbakkam does....(Geographically inclined!!!!!)

Priya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priya said...

Thanks Radhi .. I am glad you find it nice!
Actually, I was pretty sure that Ayanavaram doesn't have an arch ... but I was in a very dangerous situation :(
Endangered by a Sales Manager from ICICI who would wait for the slightest opportunity to sell her products ... even if she is out-of-office!
Hahahaha!

Afzal said...

Ha ha. Another JK Rowling in making is it!!! Just that the platform no 7 1/2 became an ayanavaram arch.

Phoneix said...

"God's in the details" - Ive understood this...

Priya said...

Afzal: Thats very big to acknowledge ... Thank you so much :)
Hey Ram: You see God here? Where?